The Web Club  
Captain's Log
Trim the Cat
The Crew
Voyage Photos
Voyage Crew Journals
Flinders Journal
Environmental Survey
A Big Thankyou
  Travel Buddy Logs - Sandy's Stories



Carnarvon, WA - again! Hi everyone!
Before headed off on this leg, I was woken at 3am on Thursday morning to run through a fire drill and learn what to do in case of an emergency. We then left Carnarvon and my watch was on duty until 10 o'clock. I got to steer the ship and keep lookout which was lots of fun. I didn't like cleaning stations though because I had to clean the brass and scrub the deck.
We anchored at a place called Monkey Mia and went ashore to see the dolphins, play volleyball and have a swim. I got to hand feed a dolphin called Puck. She was very gentle and took the fish without biting me.
We eventually left and headed out into some rough seas which made me feel a little bit sick. We then anchored in a calmer spot off Dirk Hartog Island and waited for 3 days until the weather was better for sailing. We left and went out to the open sea where it was very windy. Lucky I had my harness on which strapped me to the safety line or else I might have been blown overboard.
In the end our captain decided it was too rough and the winds were too strong so we turned around and sailed back to Carnarvon. Even though we didn't make it to Geraldton, I had lots of fun and made some new friends.
Until next time, love Sandy

Carnarvon, WA Hi to all the Sandringham kids!
Here I am, sandy the Sandpiper coming to you from... Carnarvon in WA. Carnarvon is at the north end of Shark Bay (haven’t seen any sharks yet!) where Monkey Mia is and we will be visiting Money Mia next week to see the dolphins.
Carnarvon is pretty cool. It is very different from places north like Port Hedland and Dampier, where there is a lot of mining for iron ore, salt farms and stuff. Carnarvon is where they grow lots of fruit - bananas, mangoes, other tropical fruit, tomatoes, etc. Although it's not mango season yet, all the travel buddies have pigging out on mango smoothies, mango icypoles, and chocolate coated bananas - great!
We have had lots of adventures on the last couple of legs, mostly to do with the ship, as we have been doing lots of sailing. It has been very rough, with heaps of water washing over the decks, so there were lots of seasick crew (and travel buddies). We saw whales and a few dolphins and heaps and heaps of turtles (I think they were green turtles) and lots of birds like albatross and shearwater (muttonbirds).
The crew have had a few mishaps with the ship - we got a few tears in the sails, flooded the cable locker where the cables for the anchor live and we nearly ran out of fuel and had to stop at Cape Cuvier for 2 days to refuel. Cape Cuvier is a place where they make salt and there is a HUGE mountain of salt there. When the wind blows, it blows the salt around and it looks like snow!
The thing is we couldn’t moor at the wharf (it was too big) so the fuel was put into small containers and thrown off the jetty into the water! Mike and Peter then had to fish them out of the water and into our little zodiac dingy and bring them back to the ship, where we finally emptied them into our fuel tanks! Considering it was quite rough, it was quite an adventure for Mike and Peter.
Now we are in Carnarvon for a few days, making repairs to the sails, cleaning out the cable locker and doing lots of maintenance on the ship (all the travel buddies have been helping). After taking on more fuel, water and supplies (including milo and chocolate!) we will sail for Geraldton and more adventures! We plan to visit Monkey Mia and Dirk Hartog Island along the way.
See ya later,
Sandy the Super!

Broome, WA Hiya Sandringham kids!
Are you missing me much? I am missing you guys but I am also having lots of fun on the ship!
We have had an amazing trip around the Kimberley Coast. It is very cool - all red, rocky cliffs, big tide marks that make the rocks look black instead of red, and clear blue water. We stopped at a couple of places to look for waterfalls but didn’t find any - you’d have to come back in the Wet Season, I guess.
We did stop at Bigge Island for a day. We landed at a little beach and explored all these caves in the cliffs. There were lots of aboriginal paintings and some of them were of white people with pipes in their mouths. There were also boats (one even looked a bit like the Windeward Bound) and hands and animals, like a wallaby and turtles.
We had 4 kids on board for some of this leg - Hannah, Jack, Hannah and Jacqui. It was a bit confusing with the names but they were lots of fun and played with us everyday. I liked drawing with Hannah and Jacqui the best.
Now we are in Broome. There is a Pearl Festival on at the moment and a big parade is this afternoon. Next weekend there will be Dragon Boat Races which would be so much fun to watch, but I think that we will be on our way to Dampier by then.
Our new cook just arrived on board. I am going to have a chat to her because she will be the best person to make friends with on the voyage.
Bye for now,
PS Don’t forget to have a look at our photo page to see what we’ve been up to. And check out the Newsletters that the crew have put together. There are some cool games to play in it, stories about us, and photos as well!

Wyndham, WA This is Sandy, your travel buddy on the Windeward Bound, to say hello and tell you about our latest sailing adventure.
In Darwin we picked up 6 students, 4 other passengers, 2 reporters from the Australian newspaper and a team of 3 from ABC TV. ABC is going to show a documentary about the ship and Captain Sarah and wanted to film us. They spent the first two days of the trip on the ship and kept us all busy raising and lowering sails so they could take photographs. This was good for all the new passengers who had no idea which rope to pull when they boarded. Not that they were experts when we finally set sail, but at least they knew how to pull on the ropes. Still everyone was pleased when Darwin disappeared in the distance.
We headed southwest for Wyndham which was our next port of call on the journey. After a day or so or sailing, we stopped at Bare Sand Island. This was a wonderful stop. The island is all sand and turtles come to they island to lay their eggs and the Flat Backed Turtles were laying eggs when we arrived about 8 o’clock in the evening and we were able to watch them dig holes in the sand and lay as many as 50 eggs before covering them over with sand. They are quite clever and disguise the location of their nest by making it look as if the nest were else where. The reporters from the Australian had a great time photographing the turtles. We also saw some of the baby turtles. When they hatch at night about 7 weeks after the eggs are laid, they run as fast as they can down to the water so that nothing can catch them. Sometimes one or two of the babies are left in the nest. There are a group of researchers staying on the island who rescue these babies and then release them the next night and we were able to hold these babies before they were released to run off. After all this activity it was very late and we all slept on the sand that night. We saw many falling stars as we lay on the ground.
After leaving the island we headed out to sea to avoid the reefs and carried on in a southwest direction. It seemed to me that as we travelled the temperature dropped. In fact we started to wear heavy jackets on the night watch to keep warm. We could not sail close to land because of reefs and shoals and so headed out to sea. The winds were stronger and the sea rougher and almost everyone was seasick to one degree or another. We all lay on the deck attached to our safety harnesses and slept while a brave soul steered the ship.
Our next stop was Port Keats, and Wadeye, an aboriginal community 8 miles from where we anchored in a river mouth. There were two reasons for stopping at Port Keats. Kiah and Jason performed the Matthew Flinders play for 100 children and the reporters collected a replacement satellite phone which had been flown in as theirs was broken. We stayed on the ship, but heard all about Port Keats when the visit was over. Everyone who went ashore came back very muddy as the tide was out when they landed the Zodiac and they had to walk through mud to reach the road. One of the Australian reporters wrote about the sacred three legged crocodile which you may have seen in the newspaper around August 21.
Then we were back to sea sailing southwest again. We sailed into Western Australia waters and the landscape changed from a flat mangrove swamp to beautiful red, purple and grey cliffs with many sandy beaches. We anchored the ship and all went ashore to walk on one of the beaches and enjoy the beautiful country. We had a good look for crocodiles, but only saw their tracks. The beach had no name on our maps, so I named it Sacred Scarab Beach after some fabulous shells we found on the beach, and a mysterious looking cave we saw from the zodiac.
We have sailed past our next port of call to explore more of the coast for a couple of days, then we will turn around and sail 40 km up the Cambridge Gulf to Wyndam where the current passengers will leave the ship and a fresh group arrive. My special friend on this leg of the trip has been Mary who is from Arizona, USA. She says “hello” to all of you!
Till next time,

Would you like to send Sandy an email?

Top of Page


PO Box 187 . Pyrmont . NSW . 2009
GPO Box 1330 . Hobart . Tasmania .7001
Telephone & Fax (02) 9518 4025
Mobile 0418 120 399